JOIN US AS A VOLUNTEER
CapaCare is always looking for new volunteer trainers for our surgical training program in Sierra Leone. There is a need for:
- Surgeons/obstetricians/orthopedic surgeons
- OT nurses
Your main duties will be giving interactive theoretical classes and “hands on” training to Community Health Officers and junior Medical Doctors. The curriculum is based on the WHO Integrated Management for Emergency & Essential Surgical Care toolkit. The students are supervised on a daily basis by on site resident CapaCare doctors, while visiting volunteer trainers teach individual modules that are the building blocks for the curriculum. We are looking for specific trainers to each module.
WHAT DO WE EXPECT FROM OUR TRAINERS
- Availability in Sierra Leone for at least 3 weeks.
- Affinity with training, teaching and working in a different culture.
- Ability to prepare theoretical classes, presentations(power point) or interactive sessions covering at least 50% of your time in Sierra Leone.
- Flexibility as things might need to be adjusted in Sierra Leone because of unforeseen circumstances.
- Sharing your presentations with CapaCare and help expand our database of teaching material.
- Short term registration for the medical and dental counsel of Sierra Leone is mandatory. The following documents needs to be provided to CapaCare for this process:
- Passport photographs (x3)
- Certified copies of all certificates (x3)
- Copy of CV (x3)
- Valid travel insurance for the period in Sierra Leone
- Incase you would like to combine your training visit in Sierra Leone with a holiday our local staff can help you organize this. However all expenses related to this needs to be covered by the individual.
WHAT DO WE OFFER OUR TRAINERS
- Stimulating environment with highly motivated students and international team.
- Trainers are preferably sent in teams of 2 or 3.
- Coverage of the following costs:
- Transportation to and from training institutions.
- Accommodation and meals in Masanga.
- Expenses related to VISAs, vaccines and malaria prophylaxis.
- We will organize your travel, accomodation and arrange pick up and drop off at Freetown international airport.
- Instruction manual to optimize your preparation(please read carefully).
- Teaching materials based on previous lectures.
- In case a trainers wants to participate again at a later stage there, priority will be given.
- Debriefing after completion of the teaching module.
If you are interested in becoming a trainer please send an email to [email protected] Please describe your motivation, experiences with working in low resource settings and attach a CV.